Wednesday 27 August 2014

City Basement Books.... A Little Slice Of Heaven In The CBD....

Thanks to an early finish at work I was lucky enough to finally get around to visiting City Basement Books  ( www.citybasementbooks.com.au ) in Melbourne's CBD this afternoon!



I added them to our Listings page on the website a few weeks ago at the suggestion of Paul at Allsorts Books in Northcote, ( 275 High Street Northcote) and I can reliably inform you that they are well worth a visit.

As you can imagine, parking is suitably difficult being on Flinders Street, so make sure you're armed with some small change for the meter!

I was met by Verity, the owner, and Kerry who were both very friendly and helpful, Kerry sharing a taste for one of my favourite authors for many years, Bernard Cornwell.

The shop has that wonderful quality I most appreciate in a bookstore, an appearance of organised chaos with every spare inch crammed with pre-loved titles across the whole arc of literary interest. Lot's of good old orange-spine Penguins dot the shelves, a particular favourite format of mine at the moment as many of you collectors may know. I make no apology for starting to collect books based on such trivialities, I still only buy those I intend to read, I just like the style too!

I picked up a copy of Graham Greene's Monsignor Quixote, a couple of additions to my Bernard Cornwell collection, Battle Flag and the Bloody Ground, and a hardback copy of Edward Rutherfurd's Russka, one of the few works of his I'm yet to read. Both Cornwell and Rutherfurd feature in my earlier blog on my favourite historical fiction titles, that you can check out here: http://bookloversmelbourne.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/top-ten-historical-fiction-books-of-all.html

Prices are wonderfully low, selection is extraordinarily high and the shop is underground and suitably labyrinthine to appeal to the most fussy of bibliophiles, so please pay them a visit and buy some books!! (Don't forget to tell them I sent you!!)

Happy Book Buying! 
B.L.M Stevie


No comments:

Post a Comment